Monday 19 March 2012

Conclusion


The aim of this study was to investigate what ‘the void’ is, through this I hoped to the see how ‘the void’ can be explored as a concept in narrative. The key points of discovery throughout this research project has been to further my understanding of the void in a more in depth way. To do this I needed to first understand the theories and language around ‘the void’. The main theories I used in my research were Bachelard’s  Poetics of Space and Royale’s The Uncanny. Through using these theories I was able to gain a greater understanding of what ‘the void’ might be.

The nature of the void means that it is impossible to give a definitive answer to my question as each exploration of the void through a concept in narrative would be different. Simply, through my own journey into filling the void with narrative I have been able to explore how it could be filled.

The wider implications come now that I have answered one question on the void, through my research an infinite number of new questions have now been created. The significance of this research is that through my exploration and by making my artefact the area of the void that was unexplained has now been explored and understood.

I felt the only way it would be possible for me to explore the void and my question in a creative and fluid way is through making an artefact. I would not have been able to do this through a written research project. To be able to show the void as a concept in narrative it was important that I used the methods of narrative and story telling to try and answer my original question.

The limitations in my research was that it could been seen that I only used a small amount of theorists to try and understand ‘the void’. However I feel that it was important for me to focus on specific theorists that were completely relevant to my research than explore a wider range of theories that might be too expansive.

In the future I would like to research into more theories about ‘the void’ and use it within my work.  I hope to continue my exploration of the adventures of the Stultifera Navis, through this I intend to make a collection of works that are not only rich in content but also in theory, with parents reading it to their children but also academics reading it as an example of the void being used within illustration and narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment